Vanpool Driver Requirements
Applicable for primary and back-up driver:
- At least 23 years of age.
- Employed by present employer for one year, or other indication of stable
- Must have current and unrestricted Driver's License and have driven for
at least three years. If current driver's license is not issued by Illinois,
Indiana, or Wisconsin, applicant must obtain a valid driver's license from
one of these states within 45 days of acceptance into the Vanpool Program. Restrictions
for glasses or contact lenses are acceptable. Others must be reviewed in light
of #6 below.
- Must possess minimum Illinois collision and comprehensive insurance coverage
for their own personal vehicle(s). Cancellation or non-renewal within the past
three years will be closely analyzed. If the action is related to the applicant's
driving behavior, this will result in rejection.
- Applicant will be rejected if he/she has ever been convicted of a felony
and ever had a license suspension or revocation relating to reckless driving,
hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident, driving under the influence of
alcohol or controlled substances, driving while otherwise impaired, or concurring
violations of illegal lane usage.
- The highest health standards are required of van drivers. Applicant must
be free of any physical condition that would be grounds for rejection as a Pace
- A preferred driver will be accident-free for at least three years. However,
an otherwise qualified driver may have no more than one not-at-fault accident
within three years.
- A preferred driver will have no violations for the past two years (except
parking citations). However, consideration will be given to a potential vanpool
driver who has only one violation during the past five years, even if the violation
occurred within the last two years. Driving histories will be confirmed by checking
state records and reviewed on a bi-monthly basis. This exception does not apply
to any driver with a "reckless" violation or one who has a DUI conviction.
- An applicant must pass a Pace-approved drug & alcohol test.
- An applicant who has to file a CFR due to his/her personal driving record
will be rejected.
- Primary drivers must consent to a credit check and have a good credit history.
This may not be required for shuttle drivers if the employer/agency controls
credit card access/use.
- Routinely carrying a group of unrelated persons is not allowed (e.g., Cub
Scout group, Little League, etc.). An applicant who expects to commit the van
to such routine non-commuting use will be rejected. This is not permitted under
shuttle operations unless prior approval is received from Pace.
- Drivers are expected to provide off-street parking for the van at all times.
- All potential drivers must complete the Pace Vanpool Defensive Driver Training
Course prior to taking possession of the van.
Once the vanpool begins, drivers are required to take the van in for periodic
maintenance checks and repairs. Drivers are also expected to fuel the van and
have it washed once a week. For convenience, the primary driver is provided with
a fuel card, maintenance card, and van wash card, all valid at numerous locations.